Monday, August 16, 2010

POSITIVELY ABUNDANT!

I should subtitle this post "Oops, I did it again." Brought home a great haul of farmers market goodies this weekend, plus a plethora of bread in anticipation of Battle Sandwich for the August Culinary Smackdown: Battle Sandwich, hosted this month by DoggyBoggy at Chez What? Details here, plus he's offering a $100 gift certificate to this month's winner.
Thanks to all who commented on my last post featuring links to recipes for eggplant/aubergines and contributed to my growing list of recipes to try - especially my brand new international commenters! And a big thanks to my sister, who sent me Iowa sweet corn!
The tastiest new thing I made this weekend was Mexican street corn. I'm borrowing this pic from DoggyBloggy because I still haven't gotten through all  200+ photos I somehow managed to take this weekend..

More to come this week, including a possible round-up of corn recipe ideas. What are your favorite and different ideas for preparing in-season corn? I didn't think corn could get much better than fresh, simple, and straightforward until I finally tried this street corn version I keep reading about. But now I'm a convert.

Happy Monday to all!
eggy

15 comments:

Making Space said...

First of all, YUM. Second of all, I gained five pounds looking at that photo of the Mexican street corn.

Alessandra said...

CIao Eggy, great photos!

I posted an answer to you on my blog, but I'll copy it here too just in case.

Have a great day

A.

The white eggplants also become brown when cooking (or at least, cooked like in this recipe!), but a bit lighter in colour than the purple ones. Yesterday I went to the country to see my aunt and I got some more, white and purple, I'll let you know if I see a difference in cooking them :-)

Than you for stopping by

Alessandra

Dani said...

I love corn best grilled and then dipped into melted butter.

Carla and Michael said...

Nice bounty of fresh vegetables. Can't wait to see what you cook with them. Thanks for stopping by my blog and the sweet comment. I'll be following you back now too.
Thanks again.

Sharon Rudd said...

MS, that street corn is awesome!

Allesandra, thanks so much for the aubergine info!

Dani, yep, fresh grilled butter-dipped corn is one of the most "summery" dishes of all.

Carla, glad to have found you and Michael! I'm a recipe collector who frequently deviates from what's written down, so the two of you are sure to bring me lots of inspiration!

Big Shamu said...

I'm going to try grilling my corn and then finish it with a butter/Old Bay mixture and burn my lips. I love summer.

Joanne said...

Oh that corn looks fantastic. I can't wait to see what sandwich you come up with!

Juliana said...

Wow, the corn looks so yummie...I love the grilled and with some butter with herbs...

Christo Gonzales said...

Damn that corn looks good!

Dani said...

I like Shamy's idea of the Old Bay. Gonna try that.

Anonymous said...

Good evening Eggy,

Shamy got the right idea. Corn and Old Bay, they just go toghther!

Karl

Sharon Rudd said...

Doggy, that corn should look good to you - it was your photo I borrowed! And which inspired me to finally make Mexican street corn my own self. (I'm saving more of my own corn pics for another post.)

Shamy, Dani, and Karl, grilling with Old Bay sounds mighty fine. Once again, the Big Shamu inspires us all!

Joanne and Juliana, thanks so much for stopping by!

I hope to be back up with a new photo-filled veggie post tomorrow night. Meanwhile, thanks to all my bloggy friends!

Jenny said...

We grill corn still in the husk. It's sweet and perfect with just a little butter and salt.

LaDivaCucina said...

I like my corn with just butter and salt and I got four ears in my veggie box the other day. I did a yummy corn chowder for a Dim Sum Sunday on a post a while back, very very nice and fresh tasting. Whatchoo gonna do wit dat okra, girl? Make a big ol' pot of gumbo ya ya! x

Velva said...

I have been feeling very inspired about grilling up some corn with some pimped up ingredients. I have always eaten it with butter and salt/pepper. I need to try some new ways with corn.

I have joined the Doggy Bloggy challenge!