Thursday, July 21, 2011

D’oh – Culinary Smackdown Deadline Update


I must have lost my mind, or my calendar, or become confuzzled by this July having 5, count ‘em, 5 full weekends. The deadline for Smackdown entries remains Sunday 31, as I originally posted. It is NOT this Sunday, which is actually July 24th.

Good news: I feel like I just gained a whole ‘nother week of summer! Bad news: I feel like the Idiotic Eggplant.

Here’s hoping Buzz’s lone eggplant on the farm is ready by then. And one of my busy fairy blog mothers has an extra week to update our Smackdown badge. Cindie and I will still be cooking up our contributions this weekend as planned.

Stay cool and get creative, all. Because if the weather in your part of the world is anything like what it’s been here, you just might wish this July were shorter.

xoxo, eggy

4 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

It's been unusually hot here in the mountains. Seems like the entire US is having a heat wave. I'm looking forward to the culinary smackdown.
Sam

LaDivaCucina said...

Eggy! That is good news for La Diva as I've had a nasty injury at the gym and have not been able to cook (or stand) : (

Hubby has been following my cooking directions for simple dishes as I keep my leg elevated on the couch....I have a very deep wound and it's slow to heal. Maybe I can get the DJ to participate? Will keep you posted, can't spend much time on the computer just now. WAH!!!

GrumpyGranny said...

Could I pretty please have the recipe for that squash casserole? I've been jonesin' for that since I saw the photo!

GG on G's computer

Sharon Rudd said...

Sam, try to stay cool.

Diva, I am very sorry to hear about your gym wound. Take care, and let the DJ help you out as you convalesce - quickly, I hope!

Granny, it’s one of those no-recipe recipes. But it goes something like this.

Cindie’s squash casserole

Thin-slice a bunch of zucchini and squash. Slice onions and separate into rings. Slice bell peppers. Dump into a big bowl and add your favorite seasonings (Cindie uses one or two of Paul Prudhomme’s). She says the secret is to add a little water, which helps distribute her dry herbs through the veggies. Let sit a while, then drain before cooking.

She cooks hers in that large electric skillet (which also saves you from heating up the oven, if your temps are anything like ours). First fry some bacon; remove and drain, reserving some of the rendered bacon fat. Add the veggies and let them cook down. She cooks them until soft and I was surprised at how much their volume reduced (almost like cooking spinach). When ready to serve, top with cheese of your choice and crumbled bacon until cheese melts.

Hope you enjoy!