Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Coming in January: The Good Dog! And a Streetpops Update

After the first of the year Lunch on Main will relaunch with a new name and a new concept – gourmet hot dogs. Lunch on Main chef/owner Adam Easterling tried out a few last summer (which I wrote about here) and told me he thinks the new incarnation will do more to set his restaurant apart. After two years at 633 Main Street, I’m guessing Adam is also ready to unleash more culinary creativity – which was deliciously evidenced by those trial-run dogs. Here’s my personal favorite: the Bob Cobb, with a splendidly fresh Cobb salad and homemade bleu cheese dressing atop a kicky 100% beef dog from local favorite Avril-Bleh.
The Good Dog promises more than a dozen gourmet dogs – including vegan dogs –
along with soups, sides, and salads, at an affordable price point. (Lunch on Main’s hefty hot dogs were an across-the-board $5.) I’m looking forward to tasting what The Good Dog comes up with.

Meanwhile, I ran into Sara Bornick of Streetpops (who launched her business last summer in Lunch on Main’s kitchen) at Cincinnati Magazine’s Best of the City party (thanks, Toya and Randy, for letting me ride shotgun). Streetpops, which won a Best of the City award, has moved into the Over-the-Rhine space formerly occupied by much-missed Fork Heart Knife, which Sara plans to operate as a retail space/restaurant, not just a commissary. She and her team have been making changes to the space, and she is looking to offer soups and breads from it later this winter.

As I scramble to finish my holiday preparations and hit the road to spend Christmas with my family, best wishes to all the talented cooks, entrepreneurs, bloggers, and friends of all ilks I have had the pleasure to meet – or get to know better – this year. It has been an amazing year of good blogging karma, and my eggy heart is filled with gratitude for your friendship and inspiration!

Cheers!
xoxo, eggy

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad we have places to get good hot dogs in the city, I don't eat packaged dogs so it becomes hard when I get cravings. [=

Also, Thank you for being such a great new friend! You're a huge inspiration yourself!
Have fun on your holiday trip and stay safe!

Jenny said...

Merry Merry Christmas to you Eggy! Wishing you safe travels and a wonderufl Holiday! xoxo

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Those are so very fine looking gourmet dogs. Merry Christmas from my house to yours.
Sam

moi said...

It's been so much fun, visiting here, and I look forward to more of your culinary adventures in 2012. In the meantime, travel safely and enjoy the Merriest of Christmases!