Wednesday, March 17, 2010

TOP CHEF MASTERS: BY THE NUMBERS

With only 3 weeks - woo-hoo!!! - until TCM returns, something's been driving me CRAZY here in the bowels of the Aubergine TC Crack Monkey Basement: Does the fact that there are 22 contestants (yep, I counted 'em repeatedly on my fingers and toes) signal a change in format for Masters Season 2?

The 1st half of last season consisted of all-or-nothing battles within each group of 4 chefs, with the top toque from each moving on to the 2nd half of the season, and the remaining 3 immediately PYKAG'd at the conclusion of their respective episodes. The talent level was so high I would have loved to see more of the "losers'" food, especially if they had the opportunity to acclimate to the unfamiliarity of the Top Chef kitchen and competition.

But how could 22 contestants be fairly divided into teams of 4? Or even 3? Do those wily Elves have some twists in store for us? Do kitchen accidents befall a couple of contestants (gasp), requiring alternates to be brought in? Does anyone simply volunteer to go home mid-epi? (Methinks this highly unlikely.) Or . . . is TCM2 going back to the model of Top Chef "Classic" (aka "regular Top Chef"), with only 1 chef eliminated each week for the full season?

Dear Readers, if you spy any spoilage on my weighty TCM question, please let me know. Like I said, it's driving me, er, nuts.

Thanks!

The Inquisitive Eggplant

3 comments:

Dani said...

Eggplants have fingers and toes? hehe

Big Shamu said...

My best guess? All the returning masters will compete in one big group. Otherwise I got nothing. I'm just glad they are back.

Sharon Rudd said...

So am I! What a pool of talent - can't wait!