Sunday, January 22, 2012

Post-Battle Breakfast


January's Culinary Smackdown was a success, especially considering that tofu was the theme ingredient. Thanks to all for playing! Anonymous Boxer has posted a recap of all the fine entries and pronounced Grumpy Granny the winner. Granny plans to post the details of the February Smackdown in the next couple of days. Once she does, I'll link them under this Smackdown badge on my sidebar.

When I woke up yesterday morning, I could see what Friday night's ice storm had left in its wake. There was even ice clinging to the screen outside my second-floor window.


Brrrr. I wasn't going to leave the house all day. But, taking a cue from the comments to my Battle Tofu post, a hot and hearty breakfast featuring some of my leftover sour cream and caper sauce seemed like a splendid idea. Voila, an omelette stuffed with mushrooms, asparagus, raw milk cheddar, and Browning's country ham, with a Blue Oven English muffin on the side.

Wherever you are, stay warm and eat well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that temps really do warm into the upper 40s today, or I'll have some serious work ahead of me to scrape the ice off my windshield. We're in for more wacky weather this week, but I think my travel plans to Lexington Thursday for another dinner at Azur are safe.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I didn't leave the house yesterday either! We got a layer of ice too. You breakfast looks divine. I'm partial to savory breakfasts myself and miss having eggs in my diet like crazy.

Jenny said...

oh, I think you got what we got last week. I hate ice storms. They leave more damage than snow/etc. But, there's something fun (for a day!) about cooking from what's in the frig/etc and you did a really nice job.

Here's hoping you warm up!

Marina said...

This one looks very appetizing, omit the ham, and I can eat it too! Hope you are warm and safe.

Stephie said...

This looks just scrumptious...well aside from the mushrooms that would put me on my deathbed! [=

Hope you and scout kept warm and didn't turn into Popsicles! I know my car sure turned into one, taking me about an hour to clean it off!

LaDivaCucina said...

Oh, Eggy, you paint quite the chilly picture that I remember only too well! I would actually get quite depressed living in the Midwest, and got SAD. I wouldn't get dressed for days and would always make sure there was food in the house, otherwise, back then, I could have everything delivered, even the Sunday paper and a video! (a video! ha!)

Breakfast is one of my fave meals, esp the savory kind. Kudos for using what you have, hope the week's weather calms down a bit but really, who are we kidding? You've got months to go! Bwahahaha!

Buzz Kill said...

I can finally read your blog again. And sure could have used a breakfast like that. What is the topping on the muffin?

The Pudge and I were camping in this stuff. I will try and post about the food the scout leaders made - for ourselves. We have a hard time eating what the boys make.

Sharon Rudd said...

Thanks, all! Yes, Scout and I had a battle of wills when he wanted to go outside during the ice storm, but I remained firm and forbade him to go out and turn into a kitty popsicle.

Luckily temps soared in the afternoon and a rainstorm deiced my car the rest of the way.

Buzz, glad you can view my blog again. The stuff on the English muffin is a little more of that sour cream and caper sauce I used for the tofu challenge. Will look forward to your camping post.

moi said...

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! And brunch is heaven :o)

Lori said...

I love a big breakfast like this piled with all kinds of goodies!

Jenny said...

Hey! You need to post and REALLY need to come visit me. BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!